That New Car Smell

I bought an old 1:48 scale Renwal (later Revell) Ford Model A kit on eBay to replace my old Matchbox Cars of Yesteryear Model T.

One of the locals admires a jaunty new Model A Ford parked in front of the Cantina. Its owner, up from the city for a Sunday drive with his girl, is no doubt inside enjoying a mug of locally brewed Bitter Creek Bitters ("It's the Water").


It's been years since I built a plastic automobile kit, so this was a fun trip down memory lane -- though this is smaller than the ones I used to make and a little fiddly. The kit is modeled in color, and some online research revealed that the basic color scheme of a butter yellow body with black fenders was available on early Model A's, so I stuck with that. I sprayed the body with Poly S Catwhisker Yellow and the body flat black, and brush painted the upholstery Roof Brown. After assembly I weathered it with a light spray of Badger Earth.

The Model T is one I've had since I was a kid. Over the years the top and the front seat have gone missing, so it's sadly not going to work on the layout. I am tempted to buy another one (there are plenty for sale online) just out of nostalgia.

Comments