Louella's Cafe

While I was waiting for the Sculptamold to dry, I started playing with ideas for a cafe. I started out designing a sign and ended up basically doing a full false front "kitbash" using Clever Models wall materials, doors and windows from various kits. Here's where it stands at this point:


Siding: Faded Yellow Clapboard. I imported the material for the front wall into Inkscape, altered the color, and added the lettering. The fancy lettering was created in Word using the Word Art tools, then imported into Inkscape.

Doors and windows are from a sheet of sample doors and windows included in the Layered Window how-to (originally from Kirk's Books). I adjusted the colors in Inkscape. The barroom doors are from a photo. Trim is from McElder's Cycles.

The main roof is from the Silver City Tool Shed kit. The shingled front porch roof is Dark Brown Shake Strips. The porch floor is from the McElder's Cycles loading dock. The porch support posts and beam are 1/8 x 1/8 stripwood.

Inside, the floor is Lucky & Knot's Planking. The walls are wallpaper over wainscotting from an interior texture sheet that was an "extra" with another kit. I changed the wallpaper color from yellow to light green. I built a bar from some extra wainscotting and a bit of leftover Lucky & Knot's Planking. Other interior details to come, along with lighting. 

Here's an earlier iteration of the "kit". Note that in the end, I did not add the doors and windows in software, I just printed them separately and added them to the blank walls.
Originally, this was going to be grafted onto the front wall of the maintenance shed. But I wanted to relocate windows and add a back door, and ultimately decided it would be easier just to cut blank walls from a sheet of clapboard, and go from there.

Vision board:

Owls Barn was an actual eatery in the Lockwood Valley. This picture is from the 1960s (from the California State Archives). This is the only photo I've found, and there's not enough information here to build a model.

The Cantina sign. I designed it back about 2011, using an online logo design site. As you can see, the Louella's signage takes inspiration from this design, as do the doors.
These Woodland Scenics sets tell a little story, and might be cool here or elsewhere on the layout. I recently (4/11/23) ordered a Coke machine and a man drinking from a bottle, from Dan's Decals, and I'm going to build a bench from the Greezy Gus' burger stand kit. I may also try to design my own cardstock rocking chair in Inkscape.

The maintenance shed. As my plan for the Cafe evolves, I'm not sure how much of this I'll end up using.

Comments