Retaining Wall

I've been working on various projects the last week or so, mostly around the south tunnel portal and the adjacent engine service area. This weekend I've been playing with the retaining wall that will be behind the engine house.

Originally, I had thought I'd do timber cribbing, but after building a small section I decided I didn't like the look. So instead, I carved a random stone retaining wall from pink EPS foam. I was a bit nervous about doing a convincing stone pattern. The approach I hit on was to print a section of stone foundation from a Clever Models kit on plain paper, then glue it lightly to the foam with Aleene's Tacky Glue. I cut through the mortar lines with an Xacto knife. The paper peeled off easily, then I did additional carving with the Xacto. I also did some shaping with a toothpick and the blunt end of the knife handle. Finally, I painted it with Ivory and grey craft paints, mixed in varying proportions as I painted to give a varied color. I'll do a little dry brushing tomorrow.

It's hard to tell from this angle, but the retaining wall needs to be about twice as high for most of its length, a bit more in the center. I might do it with cribbing (like the short bit on the right end in the picture) or I may carve another section of stone wall, and install it set back a little, and just use a small bit of cribbing on top of that, in the center.

Update, Feb. 6: I decided to start over and carve a new, taller retaining wall. Since the largest piece of EPS I had on hand wasn't quite long enough, I extended the wing wall on the left side of the tunnel by 10 feet. Still playing with the cribbing on the top.



January 12: Plaster -- actually, Sculptamold -- applied over the last couple days. I use a wet casting technique where I fill the mold (home made), let the mix partly set, then apply it to the hillside and hold it in place until it sets enough to stay there and hold its shape. This way, the castings conform to the curves of the landscape.

Sculptamold takes a long time to dry completely, so I'll probably need to wait until next weekend to start painting.





Comments