Getting in the Christmas Spirit 8: Lessons Learned

I learned a lot from this little project:

  • The speedy build was exhilarating. If I build a bigger layout, I'll consider doing it as a series of small (4 to 6 square foot) scenes that I can built start to finish in a few weeks.
  • To the extent that it is possible to do, scenery before track may be more satisfying than the more typical track-first approach, especially with foam construction.
  • I am absolutely a convert to carved foam rockwork.  My previous cast plaster/cast Sculptamold rocks are boring by comparison.
  • On a related note, I love the intense colors of this build. Even if I go with more muted hues in the future, I'll use the three-tones-of-same-hue, layered with washes approach in the future.
  • Vertical, vertical, vertical.
  • I am very, very tempted to scrap the current Frazier Borate and start over with a foam-based, more-vertical layout. My first thought would be to use the same trackplan, but if I'm going to start over, why not go bigger? The question is, how much bigger?

There are a few things still to be done, and at this point most of them probably won't happen until after New Years:
  • I originally planned to build a cabin, probably a log cabin, with Christmas lights along the eaves, but I ran out of time. I'll probably still do this.
  • Clean up the wiring, move the power socket to the end of the layout (my wife's suggestion), and add lighting to the cabin -- the Christmas lights and/or interior light. Add a power switch for the lights.
  • Add more trees and other vegetation. I have some yucca plants on order.
  • Add a fascia, or at least smooth the foam and paint the sides.
  • Add some small details, which might include a car or wagon next to the cabin, a burro and/or other animals, tools, barrels, and other junk. People maybe?

Comments