The Turntable

The last time I had a working turntable was on my first layout, the Fiddletown Southern when I was in middle school in the late 1960s. A couple of my larger H.O. layouts -- the first Palo Verde & Pacific in my parents' attic in the 1970s, and the second in my garage in the late 80s -- we supposed to have, but I never got around to adding them.

I've included a turntable on several of my designs for the Lockwood & San Emigdio. Ideally, I figured I'd use one from Kitwood Hill, which by all accounts makes fantastic kits. But they're pricey, and have to be ordered from the manufacturer in England.

Well, one of them turned up on eBay a couple of weeks ago, at a very reasonable starting price, from a modeler here in California. I bid on it -- a lowball bid at first, then a more serious bid that was close to what I'd pay for a new one. I ended up winning the bid for a very satisfactory price; with shipping, I probably paid about half what it would have cost to order one from England and have it shipped.

The truth is, I don't need it yet, and it would probably make more sense to invest in lumber and track to build the layout first, but that's the way it goes. I might go ahead and build it and mount it on a small diorama with the water tank until it's time to install it on the future layout.

The kit looks amazingly well engineered, and I'm looking forward to building it.

Comments