A Tiny Boxcar

Because of other demands on my time, I still haven't gotten around to starting my next layout project -- shelf, 4x8, mini, or whatever it turns out to be. But I did buy a couple of shorty freight car kits from Pacific Northwest Models, and this past week I built the first one, this outside braced boxcar.


Posed with an 0-4-2 and a 1:48 figure to give better sense of size.

And here it is next to a standard-size Bachmann boxcar. As you can see, with the recommended trucks, the coupler height is spot-on, and it's just a shade taller than the Bachmann car.

It still needs some touch up paint and weathering, but I'm fairly happy with it.

It's a well thought-out kit, and comes complete with everything but the trucks. I followed their recommendation and used a pair of Bachmann On30 low archbar trucks. I haven't tried it on the layout yet and I'm not sure how it will track on the mini -- there isn't a lot of room under there for the trucks to pivot. If these don't work I may swap in a pair of H.O. archbars.

I also have a four wheel ore car to build. If I like that one, I might add a couple more.



Comments